Missed our episode about the science behind weight loss & how our weight impacts our health with Endocrinologist Dr. Smiley-Byrd? Read a summary below of the main takeaways:
– When we lose weight…
- The appetite-stimulating hormone ghrelin increases.
- Appetite-suppressing hormones decline. Our metabolism declines.
- This is why weight management can be so difficult, and isn’t your fault!
– Losing 5% of your overall body weight is a great initial goal. Just 5% weight reduction improves blood pressure and cholesterol levels, while also being a feasible objective for most people.
– There are many FDA-approved weight loss medications available today. If used alongside a healthy lifestyle, they can help your weight loss efforts be more successful.
– When you partner with a physician, weight loss is much more do-able. Accountability is key, which is why bringing a family member or friend to appointments can be helpful!
– It can be hard to bring up weight with your doctor. Dr. Smiley-Byrd suggests getting the conversation started with something simple like, “Hey, I’d like to lose weight. What are some of the options that I should explore?” Making an appointment to talk about only this issue is also a good idea. Finding a doctor who specializes in weight management can make a huge difference. To find one near you, click here.
– Long-term, sustainable behavior change is crucial. Short-term fixes do not last and lead to weight regain. Achieving good health is a journey, not a race!
To sign up for our free online email program to learn the science of weight management, click here.
For more episodes of My Weight Live, click here.