Reaching a healthier weight can prevent many other health conditions. We spoke about how to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF with weight loss expert Dr. Deborah Horn on this episode of My Weight Live. Watch it here:
Read the five main takeaways from show below:
- Weight is related to and can be affected by a variety of health complications, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, or asthma. Obesity can be worsened by these conditions.
- Treatment for obesity doesn’t include diet & exercise, although they may be helpful. Medication and surgery are real, effective options for obesity management.
- Losing weight isn’t just about having “willpower.” Obesity is affected by multiple hormones that cannot be controlled with just motivational thoughts. They require medication that interrupt biological processes that make you want to eat more.
- Reaching a healthier weight now can help prevent and minimize health issues such as diabetes and hypertension from occurring in the future.
- The term “SMIO” is something Dr. Horn refers to in her practice a lot – and it means a patient’s single most important outcome during their weight management journey. Asking about the patient’s SMIO helps physicians determine the correct treatment plan for them to successfully meet their health goals.
For many people, diet and exercise alone are not enough to reach a healthier weight. There are now safe and effective non-surgical medical treatments that have been proven to help people be successful over the long-run. Talk to your doctor or check out our physician locator to find a doctor near you who specializes in the medical treatment of weight.
Get a weekly text to help you stay on track with your health goals! Click here to sign up.
For more episodes of My Weight Live, click here.