Dr. Einav joined us on My Weight Live to talk about the impact obesity has on heart health, and what can be done to prevent cardiovascular events, like heart attack and stroke. Watch the show here:
Here are our main takeaways from the interview:
- Obesity is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease, and can contribute to increased risk of hypertension and high cholesterol – as well as higher rates of heart failure and arrhythmia. The connection between obesity and heart health is well established, and Dr. Einav shared that even a small amount of weight loss can help prevent a cardiovascular event.
- Lifestyle changes alone don’t usually achieve sustained weight loss. Obesity medications combined with lifestyle changes have been shown to help people lose weight and keep it off.
- If you or someone you know has already experienced a cardiovascular event, controlling risk factors, such as weight, can help reduce the risk of another cardiovascular event.
- Losing 10-15% of body weight through medical treatments has been shown to have a big impact on health overall. Benefits can include preventing heart attacks, strokes, heart failure, arrhythmias, improving joint health, and more.
- Dr. Einav expresses the #1 thing he wishes people knew about weight loss is that most people are not likely to reach their weight loss goals when they are working on it on their own using lifestyle changes – and that it is not their fault! Proven medical interventions (like medications, CBT and surgery) are the only things that have been proven to be effective in losing weight & keeping it off long-term.
Get a weekly text to help you stay on track with your health goals! Click here to sign up.
Watch more episodes of My Weight Live here.
This episode was sponsored by Novo Nordisk. All content is created independently by My Weight – What To Know with no influence from Novo Nordisk.