We spoke with Dr. Saima Khan, weight management & chronic pain expert, about how to manage chronic pain, strategies & treatments that can help, and what people living with excess weight should know. Watch the show below, or just read the main takeaways!
Takeaways from the show:
- Pain that lasts for more than six months is considered to be chronic.
- There are many tools available to help us manage pain – medications, physiotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, massage therapy, cryotherapy, vitamins, meditation… and more! Try a variety of the strategies available to find what works for you.
- Obesity & chronic pain have a direct relationship with each other – people with obesity are more likely to develop chronic pain, and those with chronic pain are more likely to experience challenges with weight.
- Any amount of weight loss can help reduce pain. If you are struggling to lose weight on your own, there are now safe and effective medical treatments that have been proven to help people be successful over the long-run. Talk to your doctor or check out our physician locator to find a doctor near you who specializes in the medical management of weight.
- Acceptance & acknowledgement of chronic pain is crucial. The more you accept the pain, the more likely you’ll be to seek the help you need to manage it.
Receive personalized suggestions on reaching your best weight by clicking here!
Get a weekly text to help you stay on track with your health goals! Click here to sign up.
This episode was sponsored by Novo Nordisk Canada. It was created independently by My Weight – What To Know with no influence from Novo Nordisk.