We spoke about weight management, meal prepping, and why we need to start loving ourselves with Dr. Yvonne Kangong on this episode of My Weight Live. Read a summary below of the main takeaways:
1. Obesity is a chronic disease and should be treated as such.
2. Celebrate all of the small wins in life. Just walking 5 minutes more than you did yesterday is a HUGE success.
3. Your brain is the main part of the body controlling weight. This is why speaking with your primary care physician or a weight management specialist about reaching a healthier weight is important. You don’t have to do this alone – treatments, like medication, target the brain & our hormones.
4. Just 5-10% weight loss can lead to improvements in health, and decreased risk of other diseases/conditions (diabetes, sleep apnea, gastritis, osteoarthritis, etc.).
5. Meal-prep to save time and money. By preparing nutritious options in advance, it’s easier to make the healthy choice when you’re in a rush, or out of time to cook. By cooking at home, you also know the exact ingredients going into your meals.
6. Any amount of exercise is better than none – even if it’s only ten minutes!
7. Find your WHY for reaching a healthier weight. This could be:
- I want to be there for my children or grandchildren.
- I want to be able to walk up the stairs without getting out of breath.
- It will help with my anxiety or stress.
Diet and exercise alone aren’t enough to help many people reach a healthier weight. Medical treatments are needed to address the biological changes happening in our bodies that can drive weight regain. To find a physician near you who specializes in weight management, click here.
To sign up for our free online email program to learn the science of weight management, click here.
For more episodes of My Weight Live, click here.